Mission & Vision
Rochester Area Community Foundation, in partnership with generous philanthropists and community partners, works to improve the quality of life for people who live and work in the eight-county region through its leadership and strategic grantmaking.
Our Mission: We empower donors and community partners to strengthen our region through philanthropy.
Our Vision: We lead boldly to realize a more equitable, inclusive, and vital region by:
- Encouraging generosity and civic unity;
- Addressing urgent and persistent challenges;
- Engaging donors, nonprofits, and other advocates;
- Escalating strategic responses and resources;
- Elevating broad community voice; and
- Inspiring positive, enduring community change.
Known as the steward of charitable funds and endowments, the Community Foundation connects donors with the region’s current and evolving needs. As a leading grantmaker, the Foundation is focused on two broad goals:
- Creating an Equitable Community: Working to close the academic achievement and opportunity gaps, fostering racial and ethnic understanding and equity, and partnering against poverty to help neighbors in need.
- Strengthening Our Region’s Vitality: Supporting vibrant and diverse arts and cultural offerings, preserving our region’s rich historical assets, advancing environmental justice and sustainability, and promoting successful aging.
Learn more about these goals and the accompanying action areas.
We maintain rigorous standards for effective grantmaking, and are confirmed in compliance with National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations.
- Founded – 1972
- Number of Funds – 1,500
- Charitable Assets – $598 million*
- Permanently Endowed Assets – $343 million
- 31-Year Annualized Endowment Return – 9.0% net of fees*
- Grants Awarded Since 1972 – $598 million
- President and CEO – Simeon Banister
- Board Chair – David R. Ferris, Esq.
To confirm that we are in good standing as a charity, check our profile and financial details on GuideStar, which gathers and disseminates information about every IRS-registered nonprofit organization.
*As of 3/31/2022