Algonquin Campership Award
Purpose of Scholarship
To provide financial assistance through camperships for low-income children ages 8 to 17, especially those from upstate New York, to attend canoe-tripping camps in Algonquin Park in Ontario, Canada.
Rolling Deadline: December 1, February 1, and April 1
Number and Size of Awards
Number of recipients and award amounts vary, ranging from $500 to $5,000 each; paid in one lump sum prior to the camp trip. Note: This aid cannot be used toward the required camp registration deposit.
Allowed Use of Award
Awards may cover the cost of attending camp, necessary supplies, and/or clothing.
- Have financial need. The award applies a sliding scale to assess financial need. See page 5 of the application for eligibility guidelines.
- Already be registered and have paid the deposit for a wilderness camp in Algonquin Park, such as Camp Northway and Camp Pathfinder. Note: Applying for this scholarship does not reserve a child's place at camp. Camp registration must be made directly with the camp of choice and requires that parents make an initial deposit to hold the child's place.
- Be a U.S. citizen or a resident alien.
The application process is coordinated through the Community Foundation.
Applications are available below. In addition to the application form, the following must be submitted:
- Copy of the child's enrollment application form to a camp in Algonquin Park;
- Copy of pages 1 and 2 of the custodial parent's most recent federal income tax return;
- Submission from the child that reveals his or her interests or ambitions (letter, drawing, music, etc.); and
- Letter of recommendation from a teacher describing how the child would benefit from going to a wilderness camp and what the child would contribute to the camp.
In addition to the completed application and documents listed above, individuals and their parents will be interviewed by a member of the alumni or Algonquin Campership Fund steering committee as part of the application process.
For questions regarding the scholarship, application process, or required documentation, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection process is coordinated through the Algonquin Campership Fund Scholarship Committee. A committee comprised of alumni of the wilderness camps in Algonquin Park reviews applications and selects recipients. Note: The individual selection process also includes a personal or telephone interview with the children and their families by a member of the alumni or Algonquin Campership Fund steering committee. Once selection of the recipient(s) has been made, the Community Foundation is notified.
Award Announcement and Payment
The Community Foundation mails a letter explaining the award to the recipient and payment is sent directly to the camp for the recipient's account.
This scholarship is not renewable; however, students may reapply each year they are eligible.
This award was established by alumni of wilderness camps in Algonquin Park who want to ensure that children whose families might not be able to afford the cost of camp have access to this life-enhancing experience.
Email Scholarships@racf.org or call 585.341.4350 for assistance.
« Back to Scholarship Search